The Institute for War & Peace Reporting (IWPR) is an international non-profit organisation founded in 1991, with charitable status in the US, UK and the Netherlands. We give voice to people at the frontlines of conflict, crisis and transition to help them drive change and build more stable, just and inclusive societies.
Drawing on three decades of experience in some of the world’s most challenging environments, we support media, civil society, democracy and governance, gender, and youth-focused projects in over 30 countries – promoting reliable information and responsible public debate and removing barriers to freedom of expression
IWPR’s Latin America and Caribbean office is seeking a Finance Assistant to provide support to the accounting cycle in compliance with local, international and institutional norms and regulations, under the direction of the Finance Manager. The position will be remote and qualified candidates based anywhere in the Western Hemisphere (Americas) are invited to apply.
- Assist in the administration, accounting, and finance aspects for Latin America field office, based in Mexico.
- Assist in the completion of all finance reports. Ensure compliance with all regulations including host country, donor, and IWPR.
- Assist in day-to-day administrative issues responding to any related requests from the Mexico office.
- Review payment requests, expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness and ensure that expense reports have been fully approved before payment.
- Support the Finance Manager in preparing month-end balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Support the Finance Manager in the preparation of the monthly reporting package to the Country Director and HQ.
- Support the Finance Manager in monitoring cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests from the field in order to consolidate them and send a fund request for approval to Country Director and submit it to HQ.
- Oversee daily cash count with the assistance of the Finance Manager.
- Manage all correspondence related to administration and finance. Support with the management of assets and inventory.
- Other relevant duties as assigned by the Finance Manager and Country Director
- Support the Finance manager and project managers with specific procurements needed under projects including bids, documentation and other bid processors
- Collect, record, and archive the project’s financial documents and invoices.
The successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or finance is required.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
- Residency in the Western Hemisphere (North, Central, South America or Caribbean) is required.
- 2-3 years of experience in the finance department of an NGO is required.
- 1-2 years experience working within International NGOs is preferable.
- Experience with US government donors is preferable.
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software.
- Advanced computer skills in MS office and particularly in Excel.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Professional standard of finance ethics and ability to enforce IWPR and donor policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate attention to details and the ability to follow procedures and meet deadline.
- Willingness to work remotely, and travel on occasion.
To apply please insert your CV, a cover letter outlining the key experience, skills and abilities that you would bring to the job, and indicate your monthly salary expectation in US dollars (based on current earnings and level of experience).
IWPR is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership. We encourage applications from suitably qualified candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds who can help continue to evolve our culture and contribute to an inclusive environment.