Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of disability.
Heifer International is an International Non-Governmental, Non-profit Organization which has been working in Haiti in the field of agriculture and breeding for more than twenty (20) years. Through its various projects, it aims to ensure a better living condition for Haitian families. Heifer International’s mission is to fight poverty and hunger through sustainable community development. Heifer Project International is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Finance and Operations Director**.**
Accountable to provide strategic and analytical leadership in the development of a cohesive, financial monitoring function within the country program. Upgrading of current tools and practices to meet the increasing requirements of a highly competitive donor environment. Accountable for the adoption of methods and best-practices in grant compliance and financial management and systems development, further strengthening stakeholder confidence in the Heifer Country Office oversight management functions. Accountable to enhance and protect the Heifer Country Office value by providing advice and insight in accordance with Heifer’s internal policies and procedures. Accountable to assesses internal controls over key financial activities and reporting and compliance functions, with coverage ranging from assessments to compliance reviews and leads supports of pre- and post-award finance and accounting activities.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
- Business acumen and organizational savvy to drive results in complex environment;
- Ability to apply a strategic mindset;
- Ability to collaborate, communicate effectively, instill trust and demonstrate self-awareness;
- Ability to build effective teams and to be resourceful;
- Ability to provide effective leadership and drive team spirit;.
- Plans and aligns, optimizes work processes and ensures accountability;
- Ability to have effective decision making.
RESPONSIBILITIES (Including LOE)
A. Coordinate with Programs in pre-award grant proposal development, review and negotiation. Provide leadership on post-award financial and accounting to Management ensure compliance with donor agreements.(40%)**
- Lead proposal budget review and/or preparation
- Ensure coordination and monitoring of project burn-rates
- Monitor compliance with grant agreements.
- Monitor and/or prepare accurate and timely donor reporting, dashboards and other key donor deliverables
- Provide Programs with input on key financial aspects of programs/projects
- Ensure preparation and maintenance of accurate and timely periodic reporting, dashboards and other key deliverables to senior management
- Coordinate key processes for project budgeting and reforecasting in coordination of Country program teams; ensure cashflows are managed efficiently
- Ensure tight monitoring of donor agreement reporting dates and respond to compliance inquiries related to donor request are in place and functioning.
- Secure the proper use and management of institutional assets in compliance of local regulations ad Heifer policies.
B. Ensure regulatory and organizational compliance of financial activities are in place within the country program office. (40%)
- Continuously monitor and assess adequacy of country systems and procedures for transparent accounting, financial management, reporting.
- Compliance with Local Fiscal and Labor laws
- Coordinate and/or perform internal reviews to eliminate or reduce fraud opportunities, performing assurance and monitoring procedures.
- Coordinate external audits, incorporating results into short-range annual work plans and long-range global improvement plans.
- Periodic end of the month closing, ensuring accurate and timely financial statements for global consolidation
- Guide implementation and institutionalization of Heifer’s enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, including capturing and sharing of best practices for cross-area replication and support.
- Facilitate independent external audits and other agreed-upon procedures, including auditor scheduling and communications, financial information requests, internal control questionnaires and follow-up.
C. People Management. (15%)
- Assure the implementation of performance management and talent development processes.
- Carry out development of annual objectives and quarterly performance reviews, provide constant feedback, identify development opportunities, and as needed, create performance improvement plans for direct supervises.
- Assure the development and career path of the team to ensure high performing teams.
- Keep team morale high, taking the necessary steps to improve retention, motivation, engagement, and employee well- being.
- Partner with people department to resolve employee issues , conflicts, and disputes.
**D. Other job-related duties (5%)
- May perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Management Accounting, Business Administration, or related field.
- Ten (10) years of related experience.
- Five (5) years in a management role.
- Fluent in English and local language/s, both spoken and written.
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Management Accounting, Business Administration
- Experience in a donor-funded international development environment with compliance requirements of the U.S. government and institutional funders for international development, such USAID, EU, IFAD, DFID, mega-foundations and others.
- Project management experience, with project management certification a plus.
- Knowledge of the NGO business sector, including compliance requirements of the government; Knowledge of institutional funders for international development, a plus.
- Knowledge of operating in a multi-currency environment.
- Ability to navigate financial and non-financial data gathering and analytics; technically adept with ability to quickly learn and maximize usage of technology and software; effective user of Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate skill in MS Excel.
- Effective communicator and influencer with ability to clearly convey complex financial issues in a clear format for non-finance professions across various levels of the organization, motivating continuous and collaborative improvement.
- Proficient in the local country generally accepted accounting principles, fiscal statutes and payroll management statutes.
- Experience with accounting systems and systems conversions.
- Knowledge and practical experience in the use of ERP (Enterprise Resources Planning) systems or financial management software.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to work under pressure, perform multiple tasks and manage consistently competing priorities, comfortable in rapidly changing environment. Must be flexible and able to improvise to handle a variety of situations.
- Ability to effectively mentor and train individuals and teams using participatory methodologies. Strong facilitation skills preferred.
- Ability to work with delicate personnel situations and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain close relationships and work with team members from a distance and with limited opportunity for personal interaction.
- Constant sitting and working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Constant face-to-face, electronic and telephone communication with colleagues at different levels of the organization and the general public.
- Ability to prepare documents and other materials in a well-designed and attractive format, with attention to detail
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Adequate physical condition necessary to travel to project sites in rural areas.