Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of specially-abled**.**
The Director of Programs provides overall leadership and management for all Heifer Bangladesh programs including leading the planning, design, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the country program and ensuring that the quality of projects, implementation, donor reporting and field level management is of the highest standards. The Director provides line management support to all Program Managers and Program Officers including overall management of their performance and of all the Program staff in Heifer Bangladesh.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES**:** (including approximate percentage effort)Program Design and Planning (30%)
- Provide leadership to the Program Team towards achieving the objectives of Heifer Bangladesh’s Country Strategy.
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team to lead the development of strategic and operational plans.
- Ensure all programs activities are grounded, strongly inter linked, and consolidated at the national level in line with Heifer’s priorities.
- Ensure program design quality aligns with donor priorities.
- Ensure the sustainable locally led development approach and gender inclusion approach in the development context.
- Lead and manage the program team to achieve its targets in accordance with annual operational plans.
Program Operations Management (30%)
- Develop, monitor, review and update the program department work plan to ensure that project objectives are achieved on time, on scope and on budget.
- Review and approve program concepts and partner financial requests as per organizational processes and procedures.
- Review program expenditures from the program team line staff to ensure conformity to the Financial Policies and Procedures Manual (FPPM).
- In coordination with the finance department, undertake monthly budget monitoring and variance analysis with all Program Managers, while reviewing and tracking spending to adhere to annual budgets.
- Ensure that all donor reports and project progress reports are compliant with the highest quality standards, timelines, and formats.
- Lead in the provision of critical services to the project in the areas of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation and other thematic areas (social capital, women’s empowerment, climate smart agriculture, market development, etc.).
- Provide value chain guidance/support to the program participants.
- Ensure that the Heifer Bangladesh Country Program Framework is developed and periodically reviewed and that clear actions are developed to address any identified gaps.
- Build the capacity of Heifer Bangladesh program staff; supervise, monitor, coach and provide regular backstopping.
Resource Mobilization (20%)
- Develop/update and lead in the implementation of the business development and partnership strategy and plans for Heifer Bangladesh.
- Provide resource development intelligence on the donor landscape and upcoming opportunities and bring to the attention of the country program team/HQ for decisions on next steps.
- Investigate the trend of donor interests and highlight their inclusion/priority in the Heifer Model, aligning them with the ground reality.
- Identify program priorities and seek opportunities together with the different business development teams at Heifer HQ and the country office team.
Partner and Stakeholder Management (10%)
- Strengthen relationships with relevant stakeholders (partners/donors/companies, export associations/local markets/GO-NGOs Cooperative Department, APEX body) to ensure government support to the cooperatives.
- Address the government priority issues (country investment plan/SDG/government plan).
- Integrate HQ requirements (reporting, financial, operational, etc.) into partners’ management and implementation systems.
- Support co-ops in formulating short- and long-term strategies and bankable business plans and ensure their effective implementation.
- Support co-ops to ensure the cooperative-owned business hubs are appropriately linked to the markets and functioning sustainably.
- Work with the signature program team to develop cooperatives as business hubs with backward and forward linkages into the entire value chain.
Program Reviews, Monitoring, Program Learning and Reporting (10%)
- Ensure close monitoring of the programs in the field to ensure alignment and contribution to country strategy, monitor the flow of information and systemic documentation of quantitative and qualitative achievements in the field.
- Represent Heifer International in various program-related knowledge sharing and learning forums, document and share feedback with the team.
- Ensure compliance of approved program and project plans.
- Promote evidence-based learning and the agenda of advancing alternatives.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Rural Development, Project Planning and Management, Agribusiness, BBA, Social Sciences, International Relations, or other relevant qualification plus ten (10) years of relevant experience, or master’s degree in the same fields plus eight (8) years of experience
- Five (5) years of supervisory/managerial experience
- Thorough understanding of programming processes, systems and principles, and the ability to provide leadership and support to staff working at the community level.
- Sound understanding of value chain development on various agricultural commodities and the livestock sector.
- Sound understanding of integrated development issues and critical analysis of the root causes of poverty in Bangladesh.
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning processes
- Good experience in annual work planning and budgeting and budget monitoring
- A good understanding of monitoring and evaluation processes
- Solid knowledge and experience in extension methodologies
- Experience in agribusiness development, especially developing livestock value chains, market facilitation approaches and development of farmer business institutions.
- Knowledge and experience in training and participatory training methodologies
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet.
- Fluent in local language and English – both spoken and
Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully, and diplomatically with culturally diverse groups of people.
Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of line managed staff and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff.
Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the public
Constant sitting, standing and walking, with occasional bending and lifting; may work at a computer for extended periods of time.
Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
Job Location: Heifer International Bangladesh Country Office, Dhaka
The last date of the application submission is October 21, 2023.