Director of Health Equity and Reform
Washington, D.C. preferred The Century Foundation is a progressive, independent think tank that conducts research, develops solutions, and drives policy change to make people’s lives better. We pursue economic, racial, gender, and disability equity in education, health care, and work.
We are seeking a dynamic, motivated and experienced director of health care reform to lead TCF’s health policy team and help shape a more equitable, accessible American health care system. The director will oversee a team of researchers working on a range of issues related to quality, affordable, accessible health care, from universal coverage, to maternal health, and reproductive justice, with a health equity lens. The director will also bring their own unique expertise and interest areas to the team, set the direction for TCF’s health policy work going forward, devise political strategies to influence policymakers and opinion leaders in the field, and produce their own original research and writing to change and reshape health care policy for the better. The right candidate will bring extensive policy and research skills, a network of relevant contacts in public policy, press and philanthropy, and a sophisticated approach to health policy.
- Direct TCF’s health care policy team, including leading a program of research and policy development designed to influence public policy and drive change.
- Author reports and commentary on health policy issues, and oversee policy research projects by internal and external contributors on issues in the health policy field.
- Establish and maintain strong networks among health care advocates, policymakers, and colleagues at other think thanks to share information, collaborate, and advance equitable health care for all.
- Lift TCF’s profile and influence as a leader on health policy, including engaging with the media and on social media, speaking at and hosting conferences and convenings, briefing policymakers on TCF’s health policy agenda, and more.
- Oversee TCF’s health care team’s fundraising and development strategy, in partnership with TCF’s development team, cultivating new funding sources, and ensuring we continue to deliver high quality research and deliverables for existing funding partners.
- Manage a team of three direct reports and collaborate with other TCF policy teams on projects that overlap with health care policy.
Essential skills and qualifications include:
- At least ten years of experience in health care policy, research, or public service/practice, and the ability to evaluate and recommend improvements in the area of health policy reform, through an equity lens.
- A graduate degree or higher in a related field is preferred.
- Existing working relationships with health care peer organizations, advocates, and policymakers that would help advance health care reform.
- Demonstrated ability to produce rigorous, peer-reviewed research, as well as policy papers, issue briefs, and commentary appropriate for policymakers and public audiences.
- A broad understanding of public policy issues, including skill in assessing and improving research projects from conception through publication.
- Political acuity and the ability to craft research and policy recommendations to maximize effectiveness in light of political constraints and opportunities.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including for expert and popular audiences alike.
- A relentless passion for policy change, public service, and driving health care reform.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with funding partners to achieve even greater policy impact, including developing funding proposals, cultivating relationships, working in coalition with diverse advocates and stakeholders, and managing projects through to final delivery and reporting.
Founded in 1919, The Century Foundation is a progressive, independent think tank that conducts research, develops solutions, and drives policy change to make people’s lives better. We pursue economic, racial, gender, and disability equity in education, health care, and work, and promote U.S. foreign policy that fosters international cooperation, peace, and security.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, especially candidates from marginalized groups including people with disabilities, women, LGBTQIA people, people of color, immigrants, and first-generation college graduates.