POSITION TITLE: Director of Fiscal Planning and Analysis (FP&A)
LOCATION: Oakland, CA; New York, NY; or remote
APPLY BY: 30 days after posting
This position, available immediately, is an exciting opportunity to join the staff at PolicyLink. PolicyLink is a national research and action institute advancing racial and economic equity by Lifting Up What Works®. We are dedicated to improving the lives of the 100 million people in America who live in or near poverty, particularly those facing the barriers of structural racism. We are currently working remotely. Please visit our website at: www.policylink.org
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Fiscal Policy and Analysis leads a team of finance professionals and upper management throughout the organization on the overall planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of PolicyLink financial performance. This involves developing and managing financial analysis procedures, as well as identifying and prioritizing recommended actions to drive results and continuous improvement.
This job is for you if you:
- Are a natural leader who thrives on the challenge of developing future leaders; you have direct experience managing others and have been responsible for supporting their performance and that of their associates.
- Understand how to communicate complex financial information to a wide variety of audiences, including those who find such information to be impenetrable or intimidating.
- Embrace a free exchange of ideas (perhaps especially those that conflict with your own) that furthers the success of the whole organization.
- Treat matters of great concern lightly and matters of small concern seriously.
- Work with a minimum of supervision and are capable of balancing multiple priorities in a proactive manner.
- Are passionate about using your skills to promote a just society that centers equity in which all may thrive.
- Partner with program, functional, and executive leadership on a regular basis.
- Manage annual budgeting process.
- Develop and continuously improve tools/systems and automate processes; manage the implementation of a budgeting and forecasting solution to streamline the forecasting and budgeting processes and provide enhanced reporting functionality.
- Build clear, accurate, and reliable predictive forecast modeling for individual programs and functional areas.
- Build strong financial models for the organization, utilizing understanding of financial reporting and cash flow information.
- Review historical data, predict future results, analyze and explain budget variances.
- Review analysis results; develop insightful suggestions for investment, sourcing, and cost reduction; and lead strategic business decisions.
- Review operations for cost-savings opportunities and work cross-functionally to incorporate these initiatives.
- Identify key data sources and utilize data-driven insights about important program and functional metrics to improve decision-making.
- Coordinate, prepare, and analyze monthly, quarterly and annual rolling forecasts and prepare reporting on actuals vs. budgeted results, including additional ad-hoc analysis on results.
- Establish budget and operating benchmarks, to assist in preparation of monthly/annual forecasts.
- Maintain awareness of proper internal controls and make recommendations for any deficiencies.
- Perform quantitative analysis required for strategic planning, special projects, and reports for management and communicate results to management team.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Prepare other reports and participate in other special projects as requested.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; specialization in finance or accounting or an advanced degree (e.g., MBA or similar) is a plus.
- 7-10 years of professional experience required.
- Prior experience managing the FP&A function and multiple direct reports in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional analytical, quantitative, and statistical skills.
- Proficient knowledge of GAAP and internal revenue code as it applies to tax-exempt entities.
- Strong financial modeling skills, along with understanding of financial reporting and cash flow information.
- Advanced computer skills with expert knowledge of MS Excel.
- Experience working with nonprofit general ledger systems and integration of these with other critical operations systems (e.g., Salesforce, payroll, and HRIS).
- Must be detail-oriented and able to balance multiple responsibilities and tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction to accomplish objectives.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and outside parties to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $130,000 - $145,000, commensurate with experience.
Additionally, PolicyLink provides a generous and comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401k match, ancillary benefits, access to Flexible Spending Accounts, commuter expenses, and generous leave benefits.
How To Apply**:**
We accept online applications only.
Please note_: No phone calls please. Only those selected to participate in our hiring process will be contacted._
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
PolicyLink strongly values equity and believes in a just and fair society where all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We work towards a more inclusive world and as such we are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. PolicyLink is committed to maintaining a diverse and multicultural working environment.
***Please check your spam folder for correspondence related to this position***