Reports To: Senior Vice President
Department: Communications & Partnerships
Job Category: Full Time, Exempt
Travel: Less than 20%
The Jane Goodall Institute is a global, community-centered conservation organization founded in 1977 in the USA that advances the vision and work of our founder Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE, and UN Messenger of Peace. By understanding, protecting, and improving the welfare of chimpanzees and other great apes, while inspiring action to conserve the natural world we all share, we improve the lives of people, other animals, and the environment.
The Jane Goodall Institute USA’s Communications & Partnerships team is comprised of four groups working together, each with focus in the areas of Corporate Communications & Branding, Productions & Storytelling, Partnerships & Special Projects, and Creative Services & Operations.
The Director, Communications and Marketing will serve as a member of the Communications & Partnerships department (C&P Team) within the Jane Goodall Institute USA and will be primarily responsible for executing external communication strategies, overseeing all social media channels managed by JGI-USA, and managing the corporate brand. The Director, Communications and Marketing is a seasoned nonprofit professional with strong demonstrated success in leading communications and marketing efforts including developing, executing, and launching social media strategies as well as managing third-party contributors. This person is a creative and strategic thinker; passionate about amplifying the thought leadership and brand of Dr. Jane Goodall and the Jane Goodall Institute.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES -
- Social Media - Develop and execute a comprehensive social media strategy. Create captivating content for all platforms, engage with our audience, and respond to followers. Increase outreach and audience engagement while tracking industry standard success metrics.
- Owned Media - Manage and enhance JGI’s owned media channels, such as the website and blog. Promote organizational content, including podcasts, and develop talking points for organizational spokespeople (i.e., Executive Director, Senior Leadership Team, Subject-matter Experts, etc.)
- Earned Media – Manage third-party public relations firm to increase media placements for the Jane Goodall Institute’s programs, thought leaders, and partners.
- Multi-Channel Publications & Campaigns – In close collaboration with the Development team, lead annual campaigns like the Founder's Birthday and World Chimpanzee Day initiatives.
- Branding - Ensure consistent application of our corporate brand, including tone, positioning, messaging, and visuals across all materials.
Who You Are -
- Strategic Thinker - You possess a strategic mindset and have a deep-rooted passion for conservation and creating positive social impact. You understand how branding and corporate communications can drive change and are committed to advancing our mission.
- Social Media Professional - You're not just well-versed in social media trends; you're at the forefront of them. Your ability to craft and execute social media strategies and messages keeps our online presence engaging and relevant.
- Excellent Communicator - You are a gifted communicator, both verbally and in writing, with the ability to craft narratives that resonate with audiences and create compelling messages that inspire action and empathy.
- Brand Advocate - As a true brand enthusiast, you not only understand the importance of consistency but also live and breathe authenticity in all communications. You ensure that the JGI brand remains a powerful and authentic representation of our mission.
- Amplifier of Stories - Your experience demonstrates your skill in external relations and storytelling amplification. You've successfully taken impactful stories and elevated them to reach wider audiences, spreading awareness and sparking engagement.
- Subject Matter Expert - Media – You possess a deep knowledge and understanding of the media landscape, both legacy and digital media, and are an expert at building and nurturing media relationships.
- Skilled Project Manager - You thrive in a dynamic environment, juggling multiple initiatives with grace and precision. Your project management skills ensure that deadlines are met and that nothing falls through the cracks.
Experience You Bring -
- Proficiency in social media management and digital communication. A minimum of 7 years of experience in branding, marketing, corporate communications, or related roles, with a proven track record of success.
- A portfolio demonstrating the successful communications and branding strategies you have participated in that made a meaningful impact.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with an ability to convey complex ideas with clarity and conviction.
- Experience includes engaging with media outlets and/or managing an outside PR firm to secure coverage for organizations or causes.
- Strong project management skills, ensuring that every task, from large campaigns to daily responsibilities, is executed efficiently and on time.
We are a global network of scientists, conservationists, animal behavior and welfare experts, educators, and nonprofit professionals dedicated to building a better world for all. We focus on science-driven and compassionate solutions that have a far-reaching impact on people, other animals, and the environment. Our staff members are both personally and professionally committed to making the world a better place and work hard at doing so. In return, we offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits, a warm and dynamic working environment, and the satisfaction of knowing that your contributions are directly contributing to advancing the legacy of Dr. Jane Goodall.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Accessibility at JGI
When we bring inclusive teams together, our collective work to solve complex problems is more creative, more just, and more effective. JGI welcomes and supports individuals with diverse experiences, identities, backgrounds, and levels of ability. We foster an organizational culture in which everyone feels valued, safe, heard and fully engaged.
Compensation & Bemefits
We offer competitive compensation commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, life insurance and a 401K retirement plan with a 5% percent match, as well as opportunities for professional development and growth within our organization.
To apply for this role, please answer the following questions in 250 words or less.