Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Director of Client Operations will report into the Senior Director of Client Operations and Infrastructure. This person will lead our US based Client Operations team, with staff located in New York, Washington DC, and San Francisco will also be responsible for backfilling, and hiring new positions, as necessary.
Director of Client Operations is responsible for building and maintaining a mission-critical and highly responsive service organization, and managing the overall processes, tools, and data that drive technical customer support for the Environmental Defense Fund. This includes the overseeing a geographically distributed support team in the US, management of a fleet of laptops and mobile devices, and ensuring help desk ticket queues and escalations are appropriately monitored and responded to. The position will report to the Sr. Director of Client Operations and Infrastructure, and will work closely with IT leadership as well as others within IT, located domestically and internally, to resolve end-user escalations, and manage end-user application rollouts. They are responsible for maintaining a high level of customer service, as well as for ensuring that the Client Operations team are appropriately trained technically and managed and coached from a customer service perspective.
- Management of the Client Operations staff that is geographically distributed across the US, and respond to and support domestic and international EDF staff requests
- Manage a fleet of over 800 laptops, including patches and updates, new software releases, asset tracking, and provisioning/de-provisioning for staff both on-site and remotely
- Monitor the Client Operations ticketing queue for issues or needed escalations
- Oversee development and management of a robust trouble ticket system and reporting of asset, trends and other key areas of client support management
- Identify improvements overall staff productivity, in particular leveraging and evangelizing for Microsoft 365 and other technologies
- Oversee and enforce policy around user account onboarding/offboarding, and help identify where further end-user related policies are needed
- Oversee mobile device management for company-owned devices, provide access via BYOD devices via personal device configurations
- Manage organization-wide centralized printing system
- Oversee and take responsibility for technical projects assigned to team
- Ensure issues or critical information is conveyed to staff
- Approve internal hardware/software purchases and escalate as necessary
- Review, measure and improve the processes related to the intake and resolution of problems that are sent to the Client Operations support organization
- Review staff surveys, and establish process for investigating negative feedback, which can be used in turn to improve process
- Deliver leadership that motivates a well executing team by aligning their efforts to the vision and mission of the organization
- Recruit, develop and mentor team members while building a culture of excellence and positive support experiences
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the experiences fell connected, included and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- 10+ years of experience overseeing IT operations and service desk functions
- Four-year college degree in a related area or equivalent experience
- Extensive experience managing Windows computers through asset management tools, MDMs, AD scripting, etc.
- Strong experience working within Active Directory
- Familiarity with management of user accounts and features within Office 365
- Experience managing geographically distributed teams
- Experience managing data and generating reports
- Ability to establish metrics and reports to track overall service desk efficiency
- Established background in an organization that expects a high level of customer service
- Ability to create and present reports for distribution to a wider audience of individual contributors and executive management
- Knowledge of data and tools used to manage customer service organizations
- Comfortable working with data and deriving metrics and visualizations from that data.
- Ability to collaborate across multiple geographies, organizations
- Experience managing critical vendor relationships
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.