Job Title: Deputy Representative, Latin America and the Caribbean
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Latin America and the Caribbean
Reports to: Senior Manager, Latin America and the Caribbean, Regional Engagement
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world's most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce and remove greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods, and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we need clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS)-- the world's leading carbon crediting program, with over 2000 registered projects in 88 countries, and VCS projects have reduced or removed over one billion tons of carbon and other GHG emissions from the atmosphere.
- The VCS Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ (JNR) Framework– helps entities with forest-related emission reduction activities to integrate their efforts into governmental climate goals. It also gives governments a framework to generate greenhouse gas credits for their REDD+ programs and to nest projects.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta)-- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards-- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program-- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Given significant developments in the global climate policy context, governmental entities, the private sector, and NGOs are increasingly engaging in various carbon and environmental policies and activities that provide opportunities for Verra's standards. Verra is recruiting for the new role of Deputy Representative, Latin America and the Caribbean, to help the Regional Engagement Team in different activities in the region, with a strong focus on engaging with stakeholders to help develop high-impact markets that deliver finance and development benefits at scale. Stakeholder audiences will include project proponents (PPs) (existing and applicant), validation and verification Bodies (VVBs) (existing and applicant), accreditation entities, governments, and development banks, among others.
A day with Verra's collaborative Regional Engagement Team might include…
- Attending meetings and engaging with key stakeholders (Project Proponents (PPs), Project Developers (PDs), entities wishing to become VVBs, current VVBs, development banks, and governments) to foster increased understanding and adoption of Verra's standards.
- Identifying and analyzing government plans/regulations, designed or in the process of being designed, that could have implications on Verra programs.
- Working with colleagues in Verra's communications department to ensure the accuracy and delivery of key messages related to Verra's offerings.
- Preparing presentations and documents to support the activities of the Regional Engagement Team.
- Facilitating logistics for in-person and online events.
- Attending events and conferences, representing Verra, and promoting Verra's programs.
- Working with colleagues in Verra to produce promotional materials, training, and educational products.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading...
- Managing inquiries from different stakeholders about Verra's standards.
- Supporting the Regional Engagement Team in the promotional and educational materials for the different regions.
- Supporting capacity-building events in Latin America and the Caribbean Region.
- Representing Verra in specific working groups in the country of residence.
- Constructing and managing databases for relevant stakeholders for the Regional Engagement Team.
- Supporting communications activities relating to the Regional Engagement Team, including preparing and delivering presentations and mailings to stakeholder audiences in the region.
- Representing Verra in events, workshops, and meetings in Latin America and the Caribbean Region, as required.
- Maintaining the internal platforms (for example, the microsite) that the Regional Engagement Team uses for internal communications.
- Analyzing the different local standards (for all markets) to identify gaps and similarities with all Verra Programs.
- Preparing documents summarizing analysis of specific market topics at the country level.
You bring with you...
- 6+ demonstrated professional experience in climate policy, international negotiations, carbon markets implementation and practice, emissions compliance markets, and/or other environmental or social markets.
- A relevant university degree; bonus points for candidates with an advanced degree.
- Excellent networking and communication skills. A demonstrated understanding of the carbon market stakeholder environment in Latin America and the Caribbean region would be a strong asset.
- Strong organizational skills and discipline to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines with limited supervision.
- Dynamic interpersonal skills, capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in high-pressure situations.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required; bonus points if you have a working knowledge of other languages.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Helping to develop and implement a strategy for Verra that establishes a solid role in the Latin American and the Caribbean region for Verra's programs.
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that tackle the most pressing environmental and social issues of our day.
- Expanding your network of professionals working on climate and sustainable development, including government officials, private-sector actors, NGOs, and others.
You will know you are successful, if...
- Verra can effectively educate key Latin American and the Caribbean region stakeholders about market-based solutions, including the appropriate use of carbon credits, plastic credits, and the assessment of sustainable development contributions.
- Verra's programs are recognized in key Latin America and the Caribbean markets and are considered to be of the highest level of rigor, integrity, and workability.
- Latin America and the Caribbean stakeholders consistently express positive feedback in respect of Verra's management of its programs.
- Governments in the Latin America and the Caribbean Region recognize Verra's standards as possibilities for their national markets.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which includeTeamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra's values.
For this position, the salary range is between $61,827 - $75,529 USD. The compensation band is based on a U.S. base salary range and shares the min and max base salary for the position. This position is eligible for remote work.
The final compensation offered will be contingent upon role, level and location. Our Talent team can share the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Salary is one component of Verra's total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee's retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO) comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.