About the opportunity
SWCA is looking for a Cultural Resources Technician based out of our Denver office to assist with a variety of projects in Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Kansas, Montana, and North and South Dakota. Project work may include pedestrian survey, excavation, monitoring, shovel test survey, site recording, and National Register of Historic Places evaluation; candidates with applicable experience and/or demonstrable writing skills may also have opportunities to help with reporting, site form completion, and curation tasks. This is a regular, fulltime, hourly position. Pay ranges from $20.00-26.00/hour.
What you will accomplish
- Perform archaeological survey, NRHP evaluation, excavation, monitoring, data collection, and documentation in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal guidelines and requirements
- Perform digital photography, use electronic data-collection tools and GIS mapping applications
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with project personnel
- Depending on experience, maintain written daily survey, monitoring, or site-recordation logs, and provide daily email updates to project management
- Depending on experience, assist project managers with preparation of technical reports
- Maintain a high level of professionalism at all times and during all interactions with project personnel
- Follow and comply with SWCA and client safety guidelines and requirements
- Demonstrate and maintain SWCA’s high standard of scientific ethics and quality assurance, and have the awareness to identify and resolve challenges in creative ways
Experience and qualifications for success
- A bachelor’s degree in anthropology, archaeology, history, or a closely related field is required.
- Participation in an accredited field school or equivalent experience is required; field schools focusing on North American archaeological methods and cultural resources management are preferred.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in CRM and a range of field methodologies (survey, testing, excavation, and monitoring) is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to travel to a location, walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, often at high altitudes, and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds is required.
- Ability to be listed on state and federal cultural resource permits is preferred.
- Experience collecting field data using tablets and Esri software is preferred.
- Technical writing skills, including demonstrated experience preparing technical reports in a CRM context is preferred.
- Must demonstrate excellent attention to detail and will have strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills and demonstrate ability to coordinate effectively with SWCA senior staff and other project personnel.
- Must be motivated and able to work safely and cooperatively with minimal supervision.
- Availability to work extended field rotations (up to 12 days at a time) and travel accordingly.
- Current valid driver’s license and the ability to safely operate a 4WD vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads are required.
- Dependable, respectful, organized, proactive, and on-time.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act (EPEWA), we are disclosing a good faith estimate of the compensation range for roles that will be, or could be, performed in Colorado.
In Colorado, an employee in this position can expect a rate between $20.00 and $26.00 per hour, depending on experience, geographic locations, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. In addition, this position is eligible for our wellness paid time off, employee assistance program and wellness program activities.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.