Job Title: Country Representative, Brazil
Location: Brazil (Remote)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Manager (Latin America and the Caribbean), Regional Engagement
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce and remove greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors.
We work with governments, businesses, and civil society to advance the use of these standards, including through the development of markets.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) -- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1880 registered projects in 88 countries, and VCS projects have reduced or removed over one billion tons of carbon and other GHG emissions from the atmosphere.
- The VCS Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ (JNR) Framework – helps entities with forest-related emission reduction activities to integrate their efforts into governmental climate goals. It also gives governments a framework to generate greenhouse gas credits for their REDD+ programs and to nest projects.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) -- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards -- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program -- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Given significant developments in the global climate policy context, governmental entities, the private sector, and NGOs are increasingly engaging in a variety of carbon and environmental policies and activities that provide opportunities for Verra's standards. Verra is recruiting a Country Representative, Brazil, to engage following Verra's guidelines with stakeholders throughout the country to develop and manage educational and capacity-building activities with the ultimate aim of facilitating the development of a high-integrity, high-impact market that delivers finance and development benefits at scale. Stakeholder audiences will include project proponents (PPs) (existing and applicant), validation and verification Bodies (VVBs) (existing and applicant), accreditation entities, governments, and development banks. In addition, in this position, the Country Representative is expected to implement Verra's relationship and promotion guidelines established by the organization.
A day with Verra's collaborative Regional Engagement Team might include…
- Attending meetings with stakeholders to foster increased understanding and adoption of Verra's standards.
- Working with colleagues in Verra’s Communications Department to ensure the accuracy and delivery of key messages related to Verra's offerings.
- Producing a concise and well-researched analysis of a local policy development that may impact the carbon markets and other potential environmental markets, including clear and actionable recommendations, and presenting your analysis to senior colleagues in the organization.
- Prepare materials for internal use to understand the legal situation of the markets in Brazil.
Specific functions you will be responsible for ...
- Build the capacity of Brazilian stakeholders to access and use Verra's standards, including by providing guidance and support, responding to queries, and organizing and delivering training events, with a view to educating them on how Verra’s standards can help them meet their climate and development aims. All of this is in collaboration with er Teams and Departments of Verra.
- Support the regional engagement team in face-to-face and remote events.
- Engage in opportunities to develop markets for Verra’s standards in Brazil, including through the development, maintenance, and strengthening of relationships with a view to identifying stakeholder priorities and requirements, synthesizing and analyzing findings, and advancing actionable recommendations aimed at strengthening Verra’s carbon market offerings.
- Monitor the evolving policy landscape in Brazil, including by reviewing documents and policies and engaging with government officials, to evaluate opportunities for Verra.
- Engage in communications activities relating to Brazil, including the preparation and delivery of presentations and mailings to stakeholder audiences in Brazil.
- Support the formalization and implementation of joint work agreements with Brazilian stakeholders.
- Represent Verra in Brazil-related working groups.
- Provide answers to the different market players in Brazil, in collaboration with Verra's technical teams/departments.
- Manage and keep up to date the internal information and data platforms used internally at Verra.
- Identify opportunities in Brazil to promote Verra's programs.
- Build a map of key stakeholders for outreach work in Brazil.
- Propose a working strategy for relations with key stakeholders in Brazil.
You bring with you...
- Demonstrated professional experience in climate policy, international negotiations, carbon markets implementation and practice, emissions compliance markets, and/or other environmental or social markets. At least 6 years of work experience in this area is preferred.
- Understanding of the Verra programs and certification processes.
- Excellent networking and communication skills. A demonstrated understanding of the carbon market stakeholder environment in Brazil would be a strong asset.
- Strong organizational skills and discipline to be able to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines with limited supervision.
- Dynamic interpersonal skills, capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in high-pressure situations.
- Management and understanding of organizational structures and information management
- Fluency in Portuguese and a high degree of ability in English are required; other languages are a plus.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Helping to develop and implement a strategy for Verra that establishes a solid role in Brazil for Verra’s programs.
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that tackle the most pressing environmental and social issues of our day.
- Expanding your network of professionals working on climate and sustainable development, including government officials, private-sector actors, NGOs, and others.
You will know you are successful, if...
- Verra can effectively educate key Brazilian stakeholders about market-based solutions, including the appropriate use of carbon credits, plastic credits, and the assessment of sustainable development contributions.
- Verra's programs are recognized in key Brazilian markets and are considered to be of the highest level of rigor, integrity, and workability.
- Brazilian stakeholders consistently express positive feedback in respect of Verra's management of its programs.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
The compensation band is based on a U.S. base salary range and shares the min and max base salary for the position. This position is eligible for remote work. The final compensation offered will be contingent upon role, level, and location. Our Talent team can share the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.