Employer: Village Enterprise
Industry: Nonprofit/International Development/Social Entrepreneurship
Job Title: Country Manager
Location: Ethiopia – Addis Ababa
Contract: Full Time, 2 years with the opportunity to extend
Reports to Chief Programs Officer
Direct Reports: Regional and Project Manager(s)
Matrix Reports: Human Resource Coordinator, Country Finance Lead, IT Coordinator, Country M&E Lead, Enterprise and Savings Lead
Village Enterprise’s mission is to end extreme poverty through entrepreneurship and innovation. Village Enterprise has impacted the lives of over a million people living in extreme poverty in East Africa. Village Enterprise’s new strategy focuses on ‘scale and impact’, and the organization has ambitious goals in both areas. If you are driven by results and scale please consider joining us.
About the Job:
Village Enterprise’s Country Manager is a passionate, highly dynamic, technically capable, and strong leader. The Village Enterprise team is composed of 400+ staff across various teams consistently working to increase the impact and scale of the Village Enterprise Graduation model and the Country Manager’s role is to ensure the successful implementation and results from the model. The CM will be expected to provide direct oversight and management of the field operations and will work closely with other cross-functional teams to ensure high-quality and timely delivery of Village Enterprise goals. The Country Manager will engage in coordination and relationship management with key stakeholders. Village Enterprise prides itself on supportive, positive management, and the Country Manager is core to this culture within Village Enterprise.
Lead and Manage Village Enterprise Country Team
- Establish strong working relationships with managers and maintain high levels of motivation across multiple levels of country programming.
- Support the building of organizational culture and the necessary systems that perform well across the completion of activities, scaling the program, delivering outcomes, and meeting goals.
- In coordination with people and culture support in the recruitment, mentorship to staff, regular feedback, performance appraisals, staff development, and other management issues.
- Policy Development and Implementation: Accountable for ensuring the successful design and implementation of necessary policies across relevant areas of operation. This may include financial, human resource, operational, and safeguarding policies.
- Assist in program development for Village Enterprise by identifying additional needs and contributing to the development of project proposals.
- Develop the capacity of staff to deepen their understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where the whole team strives to achieve excellence.
- Develop and implement an annual operations plan for the country program and ensure field implementation goals are met.
- Build a culture of accountability and performance that allows for exceptional delivery of the program
- Assist Regional Managers, Field Coordinators, and Field Associates with information, tools, and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Strategize and implement processes and activities which increase the impact of the Village Enterprise model across the different geographies of implementation.
- Use the Adaptive Management System to capture program successes and challenges that will inform internal learning and program improvements and innovations.
- Proactively identify and share real-time learning from the program implementation to inform potential changes in program design and support the influencing agenda
- Regularly conduct quality control visits to program implementation regions to identify areas for potential changes or course corrections; share out key findings with Village Enterprise internal team.
- Collaborate with project teams to deliver on project milestones and outcomes
- Updates Wrike Project Management tool upon completion of tasks
- Fulfill assigned roles on projects across the organization.
- Ensure and support the implementation of the Village Enterprise Project Management Guide for projects in the
- Meet with the Chief Programs Officer and COO every quarter to review Country goals
Deliver on Innovations that drive Scale and Impact
- Closely work with the Product and Service team to downstream business models that drive impact and reach.
- Lead specific innovative interventions that grow Village Enterprise reach and results
- Work with the Product and Service team to support model iterations
Contribute to Partnership and Thought Leadership
- Work with the development team to design proposal and innovations that drive revenue for country operations
- May be called to support the development of new projects by participating in project design workshops, and providing key inputs such as writing technical sections and supporting budget development.
- Represent Village Enterprise at conferences, events, and the government level when needed
- Assist with the roll-out of new initiatives, processes, and procedures from functional teams
- Ensure compliance with the country governments on registration, tax, and reporting to the different stakeholders.
Cross-functional Team Coordination
- Work closely with functional teams to ensure smooth implementation of the program
- Coordinate with the MEL team on data, learning, and documentation for program improvements
- Collaborate with Finance team to develop, manage and oversee country's-budget
- Collaborate with Chief Governments Relations Officer, partnerships teams, and Regional Managers to build a relationship with the government, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
- Coordinate with the HR Coordinator to ensure adequate staffing at various levels of implementation.
Financial Oversight and Control
- Responsible for designing and developing annual budgets.
- Accountable for the adherence to budget over the fiscal year.
- Accountable for the implementation of systems and processes for financial accountability.
- Participate in budget reviews quarterly
- Approve budget expenditures for the country based on the matrix.
- Support FA on the country and international audits.
- Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility at VE, and it begins with me
- Communicate and uphold VE safeguarding standards at the country level for all field employees, partners, and program participants.
- Ensure compliance with VE’s safeguarding policies
- Report any incident of safeguarding in program operations for appropriate action/follow-up.
- Support in investigations and input as required during safeguarding disciplinary process
Key Performance Metrics include
- % of individuals out of extreme poverty
- # of businesses started against the targets
- % of project milestones, outputs and outcomes met against the target
- Country Cost Per Household and/or Business
- Country revenue generated
- Reduced quality issues in the program delivery
- Reduced/Zero safeguarding issues
- Staff Competency, effectiveness, Accountability and Satisfaction
- Completion of Country Strategy and Ops plans
- Contribution to Thought leadership
- Regulatory/ compliance measures met