ActionAid is hiring a
Position: Country Director, ActionAid, Afghanistan
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Contract period: 2 years
Application deadline: 5PM GMT time on 8th September 2023
This role is an exciting opportunity for a senior management professional who wants to help shaping the future success of a major international NGO working with over 25 million people in more than 45 countries for a world free from poverty and injustice by helping people use their own power. The role provides vision, leadership, management and effective high-level national representation for ActionAid in Afghanistan. If you are a leader who is strategic, influential with the passion for making a difference, this is the job for you.
The country director role represents ActionAid International Federation in Afghanistan; leads the development and the implementation of Country Strategy of ActionAid, Afghanistan.
As the top leadership in the country, the Country Director will focus on delivering high standards of ActionAid’s operations in Afghanistan and ensuring resources are in place to achieve performance targets and monitoring overall performance against these targets. The role requires deep knowledge of Afghanistan’s social, cultural, political and economic context to make significant improvements to policies and processes that lead to long-term success of ActionAid in Afghanistan; of broad organizational experience to develop and manage the team well and strong alignment with ActionAid’s feminist values and principles. You will need to have excellent negotiation and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to handle sensitive diplomatic and government level advocacy negotiations on matters relating to ActionAid's Afghanistan country programme
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
· Implement and further develop ActionAid’s vision, mission, philosophy and principles in Afghanistan in line with agreed strategies and organisational priorities
· Represent ActionAid in a variety of forums and maintain external relationships within a diverse range of stakeholders in the sector including national government, key national and international NGOs, donors, academia, development networks, social movements, community-based organisations, media and other relevant institutions in Afghanistan
· Actively contribute to ActionAid’s’ vision and mission as an international federation.
· Maintain regular communication with the line manager, ActionAid Global Secretariat and other Members of AA federation.
· Ensure that ActionAid, Afghanistan, lives up to its dual citizenship role as part of an international federation.
· Provide inputs to AAI’s activities as and when required, including participation on task forces, training courses and conferences
Strategy Development and Implementation
· Ensures the delivery of ActionAid's, Afghanistan CSP and oversees the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the CSP and its annual plan.
· Strong knowledge of humanitarian contexts and leadership experience of strategy development and risk identification, management and planning.
· Ensure all programme activities are sensitive to and responsive to changes in the political, social, and economic environments and that all changes in organisation’s structure, systems and culture are planned and managed effectively.
· Lead and direct the work of ActionAid, Afghanistan, in accordance with sound management practices and ActionAid's development policies and accountability systems.
· Develop and maintain appropriate contingency plans for all kinds of emergencies, context-related risks and challenges. Such plans to be presented for approval of the Head of Country Engagement and Transformation, Asia, for inclusion in AAI’s humanitarian response and risk management related mechanisms.
· Develop a funding strategy and plan to mobilise and diversify ActionAid, Afghanistan’s resource base to support the change we seek to achieve as specified in the CSP.
· Establish and develop strategic and working relationships with key donors in Afghanistan and actively develop local funding sources appropriate to ActionAid, Afghanistan, Country's resource needs
· Ensure a regular flow of information and report is available to ActionAid International funding departments, funding affiliates and to donors and official funders as required by the various funding mechanisms.
· Knowledge and strong experiences on donor contract management
· Knowledge and experiences in ensuring cost recovery with donor funded projects and budgeting.
Communications and Campaign
· Develop a communication strategy that will deepen the impact of communication work, identify key priorities, channels, audiences and messages to establish an appropriate public image for ActionAid, Afghanistan, in line with ActionAid International values and culture
· Develop and manage a sound relationship with all sections of the media and ensure that any published material accurately reflects the views of ActionAid, Afghanistan.
· Encourage the development of appropriate research with a view to improving the quality of grassroot work and influencing change in policy to improve the quality of life for the poor and excluded ActionAid works in Afghanistan.
· Conceptualise and conduct local level campaigns to create connections between poor and excluded people to increase public awareness of, and support for their cause and grow our supporter base in Afghanistan.
· Maintain an effective structure to ensure delivering the country strategic plan
· Ensure a collaborative and safe working environment in ActionAid, Afghanistan and provide country team with an empowering and enabling environment fostering ActionAid feminist leadership principles.
· Maintain effective and appropriate staff recruitment, induction, appraisal, and remuneration and development policies and practices at all levels to ensure the optimum utilisation and development of ActionAid’s, human resources.
· Appoint, develop and manage all senior staff. Ensure a high calibre of staff is recruited while promoting a gender balance in the organisation, and that optimum investments are made in their development.
· Develop a qualified and valued ActionAid team in Afghanistan, based on equality and diversity.
· Actively promote staff exchange, secondment and development schemes, where these contribute to the meeting of ActionAid's programme objectives and priorities
Operations & Finance
· Ensure mutual accountability between ActionAid and related stakeholders with the establishment of all organisational processes, systems and policy to ensure the effectiveness of ActionAid, Afghanistan.
· Ensure the financial integrity and accountability of ActionAid, Afghanistan, in accordance with ActionAid Financial Management framework
· Manage the financial resources allocated to or raised by the country in compliance with approved policies/ frameworks as well as national law and donors’ regulations;
· Prepare budget and financial plan to ensure that the control of expenditure and the disbursement of resources in accordance with the established procedures;
· Provide progress and financial reports as required by the government, and ActionAid's accountability procedures and as required by other donors.
· Maintain an efficient internal control framework to ensure that ActionAid, Afghanistan, has a well-balanced, well documented and cost-effective programme.
Partnership management and development
· Manage and encourage the co-operative relationships established with various specialist institutions and partners in the country and ensure that these joint initiatives conform to programme objectives and strengthen the profile of ActionAid in Afghanistan.
· Lead the development and implementation of country-specific guidelines for the management of partnerships in line with the Country Strategy Paper (CSP) and other relevant organizational policies
· Develop ActionAid 's capacity to document, disseminate and learn from development work in and ensure all reporting meet the highest standard
· Act as focal person to identify and manage all risks/ crisis related to ActionAid operations in Afghanistan.
Education & Certifications
· Appropriate degree level qualification, preferably post-graduate qualifications in development study, social science and/or organisational management
· A minimum of 5 years experiences in the senior management position in development work and poverty alleviation programmes with proven initiative, flexibility and enthusiasm in managing complex activities in a risk prone and changing environment. Experience working as country/executive director is preferred.
· Demonstrated senior management expertise, including proven ability to develop the capacities of multi-disciplinary professional teams of similar staff size of 100 and above
· Proven experience in managing complex financial control and management systems with the budget size of at least 3 million GBP
· Demonstrated expertise in strategic and long-term planning and the ability to ensure that operational plans and activities meet targets and appropriately reflect longer term perspectives.
· Experience in change management/ restructure
· Proven track records in fundraising from diversified resources and contract management from bilateral and multilateral donors
· Proven experience of working and negotiating with Government officials and/or donors at all levels
Essential knowledge and skills
· Sound and up to date knowledge of poverty and development concepts, humanitarian work experience, methodologies and techniques including demonstrated expertise in at least one specialist development field.
· Excellent negotiation and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to handle sensitive diplomatic and Government level negotiations on matters affecting ActionAid's Afghanistan country programmes.
· Sound awareness of the political, social, cultural and economic environment in which ActionAid's poverty alleviation programmes are operating at both national and community levels.
· Proficiency in English and a familiarity with the context of the country as it affects development strategies.
· Strong leadership and management skills
· Strong analytical/Problem solving, and management of crisis, conflict and risk
Desirable Knowledge , Experience and Skills
· Understanding local language is an advantage to the role.
· In addition to the essential requirements, candidates with proven project management record, especially management background in humanitarian response work, including conflict context understanding, have additional advantages.
HOW TO APPY
Please click on the "apply” button to start the application process:
Applications close on 5PM GMT time on 8th September 2023 . Please upload an up-to-date curriculum vitae and a covering letter, clearly explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Please check your application and complete all eligibility questions including salary expectation questions and make sure you meet all the essential criteria listed in the person specification. In addition, your application will be stronger if you meet at least some of the desirable criteria. If you do not meet at least all the essential criteria, please do not apply as we only consider candidates if they meet the essential criteria listed on the job description. We will only consider candidates who have the right to work in the specified locations.
Due to high volumes of applications received, we can only correspond with short listed applicants. Should you not have received feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
ActionAid International will not consider unsolicited candidates from recruitment agencies. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
ActionAid is a global federation working for a world free from poverty and injustice. We want to see a just, fair and sustainable world, in which everybody enjoys the right to a life of dignity, and freedom from poverty and oppression. We work to achieve social justice and gender equality, and to eradicate poverty.
All our work is underpinned by a set of feminist leadership principles: Self-awareness, Self-care and caring for others, Dismantling bias, Inclusion, Sharing power, Responsible & transparent use of power, Accountable collaboration, Respectful feedback, Courage and Zero tolerance against discrimination and abuse of power.
ActionAid International welcomes applications from all sections of the community and promotes diversity.
Our commitment to Safeguarding
ActionAid is committed to recruiting candidates who promote ActionAid’s SHEA and Safeguarding policies and values.
ActionAid will only recruit candidates who are committed to SHEA and Safeguarding and ActionAid’s values, thereby helping to create safer working cultures. As a deterrence measure ActionAid is also committed to deterring candidates who are intending to cause harm from joining ActionAid.
GDPR Privacy notice
ActionAid International collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants as part of any recruitment process. ActionAid International is committed to being transparent about how we collect and use that data and to meeting our data protection obligations. Please visit our website https://actionaid.org/privacy-and-cookies or click the link Privacy notices to view our GDPR Privacy notice.