Every day, we work together for what matters – bold, swift, and equitable climate action.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Consultant is a vital contributor to the Power Markets group within the Energy & Climate Practice, the consulting team at 3Degrees. The position conducts research and analysis to support the delivery of client work under the direction of senior-level team members.
3Degrees’ consulting projects focus on developing and implementing renewable energy and carbon reduction solutions for large organizations. Our work focuses on reducing emissions of energy supplies - both electricity and thermal - and enabling growing organizations to adopt these solutions within robust sustainability programs.
This is a full-time position preferably located in the New York, NY or Portland, ME offices and will report to the Manager, Energy & Climate Practice. A remote office in the U.S. Eastern time zone, with agreement to travel for training and collaboration will be considered for highly qualified candidates. Remote workers agree that their home office provides a comfortable and productive environment that enables success in the role as a “remote” employee.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Our Consultants bring renewable energy domain expertise, and perform the following work:
- Support the delivery of client work through financial modeling, developing presentations, writing and preparing memos and helping with additional client requests
- Conduct complex analyses by modifying existing models or creating new models to meet client needs. Examples include financial and risk analyses for power purchase agreements, project proformas with scenarios and sensitivity analyses, energy market back casts and projections, battery storage and green hydrogen. Use statistical know-how to interpret results as appropriate
- Conduct independent research using your ingenuity and curiosity to make reasonable assumptions and come up with appropriate solutions, at times with incomplete information. This may include country-level energy market research, delving into standards documents to find specific references or proof points, as well as research on complex topics such as regulatory proceedings
- Translate results of research and analysis into clear visual representations
- Implement standard error-checking processes and serve as QA on others' analyses
- Proactively develop and expand subject matter expertise through regular project work and share learnings with the team
You are someone who loves to analyze, research, and offer data-driven solutions. You ask lots of questions, take a proactive approach to support the team and have a knack for clearly presenting information. You are curious and look at all sides of a problem/challenge in order to make informed recommendations. You pride yourself in your attention to detail. Your organizational skills help you create and execute work plans that are efficient while delivering a high level of support to serve our clients. Prior experience working on management consulting projects for multinational corporations is a plus, specifically addressing renewable energy and climate change issues. You have the following:
- Experience supporting clients as part of a management consulting team (minimum of 2 years)
- Professional experience with subject matter such as renewable energy, battery storage, green hydrogen, wholesale energy markets (domestic and/or international), retail electricity supply, utility green tariffs, and greenhouse gas inventories
- Mastery of Microsoft Excel (i.e. advanced functions such as nested formulas, pivot tables, conditional formatting, and advanced filtering/sorting) and prior background with managing extremely large datasets. VBA is a plus
- Ability to use Tableau for professional data visualization and analysis
- Stellar researcher who can synthesize information and logically structure findings
- Strategic, conceptual, analytical thinking and decision-making skills. Highly organized, reliable, and well-structured in your research and analyses
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including experience making/delivering presentations to external clients and internal stakeholders
- Versatility and ability to be agile in an environment that requires many different types of tasks for a variety of project types
- Bachelor's Degree in Science, Engineering, Business, Economics is preferred, along with professional experience in an analytical role. (A Master's Degree is a plus, but not required)
HOW WE DEFINE SUCCESS
Within 30 days
- You have an understanding of the quality of work and the level of research and analysis that is required
- You have an understanding of the breadth and depth of our consulting services and have a solid client service mindset
Within 90 days
- You can work independently and know when and where to seek information and resources
- You are building knowledge in our core services, adapting it to different project types, and expanding upon it by sharing key insights with the team
- You can use the team’s various internal tools and models in standard applications
- You are supporting project work by leading and crafting analysis, drawing insights, and formulating client-facing recommendations
Within 12 months
- You are able to deliver tasks tailored to client needs and can slot into a variety of new or existing project types
- You are building and improving the team’s internal tools/models and methodologies
- You can effectively prioritize tasks and manage small parts of larger projects (i.e. delegating tasks to peers or managing up to bring in more senior support when needed)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Compensation: The starting base pay for this position is $63,000 to $108,000 in the US. The total compensation package for the successful candidate in this role may exceed the base pay as it includes other incentive pay. The base pay is dependent upon many factors such as location, transferable or job-related skills, work experience, relevant training, business needs, and market demands. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
- Benefits: this position is eligible for a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401k, flexible paid time off and more. Additional information regarding the benefits available for this position can be found at: https://jobs.jobvite.com/3degrees/jobs/jointheteam
- Supplemental Pay: this position is eligible for discretionary bonus programs including the company’s profit sharing program and an annual performance bonus based on personal, department and company goals.
- This compensation and benefits information is based on 3Degrees’ good faith estimate as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND EQUITY
3Degrees is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where different perspectives contribute to better solutions. 3Degrees welcomes people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or gender expression, age, sex, pregnancy, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by law.