Overview of the Company
Social Solutions International, Inc. (Social Solutions) is a Hispanic and woman-owned business emphasizing quality research and evaluation, training and technical assistance, and institutional support services. We are a mission-driven organization that believes that superior science can improve the world. Social Solutions is dedicated to the creation of social and health solutions to improve the welfare of underserved populations worldwide.
Social Solutions is a large, thriving business with a fun atmosphere that encourages creativity, new ideas, and employee health and well-being. We put our employees first and use empathetic leadership, taking a genuine interest in our employees’ lives and the challenges they face in and out of the workplace. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) are integral to our company culture, and we are continuously striving to enhance our DEIA efforts across our company. You will feel like a contributing member of a growing team and company that has flexibility to enhance processes and procedures quickly to improve performance and growth. We help our employees carve out a professional pathway that has mutual benefits for them and Social Solutions. Social Solutions also offers exceptional compensation and benefits, detailed below.
The location of this position is based in in Auki, Malaita Province with frequent visits to Adakoa in East Malaita and Honiara.
Overview of the Position
The Pacific American Fund (the Fund) is a five-year, $35 million project financing facility funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) that serves a key platform for supporting the United States Government’s Indo-Pacific Strategy while also advancing USAID’s goals of promoting the localization of aid delivery. The goal of the Fund is to improve the quality of life in vulnerable communities and to improve access to services for remote communities in the region, and the Fund operates across 12 Pacific Island Countries. In addition to operating a grant-making facility, the Pacific American Fund supports USAID’s Strengthening Competitiveness, Agriculture, Livelihoods, and Environment (SCALE) program in the Solomon Islands, specifically to support the tendering and construction of small-scale infrastructure (projects valued at USD 500,000 or less) that strengthens and expands the agribusiness sector in Malaita Province in the Solomon Islands. Approximately 11 projects are currently in consideration.
Social Solutions International Inc. is seeking a Construction Manager to oversee small-scale infrastructure construction activities of the Pacific American Fund in the Solomon Islands for the SCALE SSC activity. This position reports to the Pacific American Fund’s SSC Owner’s Representative based in Honiara, Solomon Islands.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the SCALE SSC Construction Supervisor include:
- develop strong understanding of the scope, contract, and project expectations;
- coordinate and supervise Quality Assurance inspections and reports provided by an outside firm;
- coordinate and support pre-bid meetings;
- coordinate and support preparation of small-scale construction tenders/solicitations;
- coordinate and support bid evaluation and selection of awardees by a technical evaluation Committee (TEC);
- support preparation of draft construction subcontracts consistent with FIDIC (and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)) requirements and coordinate construction contract administration;
- address issues related to construction schedules, permitting, bonds, bidding, and procurement;
- coordinate and support procurements, track expenditures, and support efforts to maintain cost control;
- evaluate proposed substitutions or changes to the subcontract and construction, management implications, and make recommendations to the O/R and the COP
- ensure general quality control;
- monitor arrival, storage, and use of materials by subcontractors;
- ensure that monthly site meetings involving local stakeholders are conducted, take record of proceedings, and ensure follow-up actions;
- monitor subcontractor activities ensuring the work meets project contractual expectations, quality standards, and schedule; liaise with Owner’s Representative and Social Solutions’ COP when implementation slippage arises;
- verify work completed by the subcontractor to ensure consistency with the drawings and technical specifications through physical inspection of work and review/confirm progress payments;
- submit electronic reports of subcontractor progress, work complete, delays, materials on site, laborers, community members or government officials on site, issues, etc.
- monitor and maintain positive relationship with subcontractor, community and relevant government agencies;
- track actual start and end dates of subcontractor’s schedule, update schedule regularly, analyze potential risks, identify areas of slippage or opportunities in the schedule activities;
- assist with adherence to the EMMP;
- responsible to observe health, safety, and environmental compliance at the site;
- notify the subcontractor and the SSC Team in case of non-compliance with the Health and Safety Plan and Quality Management Plan
- support handover to local owners upon project completion;
- ensure compliance with contract terms and the completion of deliverables, receive and review reports and forms, consider and advise on requests for change orders and modifications, and assist with holding bonds and warranties;
- Maintain good communication and reporting with the construction project manager and team;
- travel within the Solomon Islands to project sites and to meet SCALE implementing partners and local counterparts; and
- perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, architecture, business administration or a relevant field; an advanced degree would be an added strength;
- At least 10 years of proven experience in supporting civil engineering projects and construction, preferably in the Solomon Islands;
- Experience with an international donor-funded program would be an added strength;
- Knowledge and experience in applying FIDIC regulations in construction contracting; knowledge of the US Government’s Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) ;
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in construction contracting, surveillance, and oversight;
- The ability to engage local government and community stakeholders to secure buy in and ownership of the SCALE small-scale construction projects;
- Professional attitude with the ability to be get things done on a complex project;
- Strong interpersonal/diplomatic skills and cultural/political sensitivity; and
- Good English writing and communication skills and knowledge of local language(s) are required.
Social Solutions offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. Please submit your resume online at www.socialsolutions.biz.
Social Solutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.