Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Communications Specialist, People & Nature
Washington D.C., any EDF US office or Remote (U.S)
EDF’s People and Nature program works for a world where ecosystems thrive and people flourish despite the challenges presented by climate change and environmental degradation. To support this work, the People and Nature Communications Team develops strategic communications that position EDF as a global thought leader on core issues. The team helps elevate the visibility of key solutions and initiatives to spur a groundswell of support for actions that will build a resilient, vital earth for everyone through a variety of methods, including visual, multimedia and written content.
EDF is seeking a Communications Specialist to assist with strategic communications campaigns, earned media outreach initiatives, content creation and marketing campaigns in support of EDF’s People and Nature program.
Reporting to the program’s Communications Manager, this new position will play the role of a generalist. The Communications Specialist will utilize their skillset in communications, writing, editing, media tracking, social media, and other key communications tasks across the different workstreams that make up the People and Nature team within EDF, including agriculture, fisheries & oceans, ground water, coasts and watersheds, natural climate solutions and global food systems.
The Communications Specialist must be highly organized with a strong background in project coordination as well as exceptional writing, editing and content creation skills across a variety of formats, including: social media, email newsletters, data visualization and others.
- Execute offline and online strategic communications outreach plans to advance program activities and support People and Nature Communications staff.
- Manage digital content, including email newsletters, LinkedIn and Twitter accounts. Daily duties will include managing the story list, maintaining the publication schedule, editing posts and developing original content.
- Track and analyze earned media exposure to provide relevant information for reporting to stakeholders and informing communications strategy.
- Generate proactive ideas for timely, on-message communications content for feature media coverage, improved engagement with thought leaders, etc.
- Research specific environmental issues as needed to inform communications efforts.
- Manage vendors and contractors to produce communications deliverables on deadline.
- Assist with maintaining and organizing electronic files across the team, including media lists, talking points, press clips, etc.
- Assist with maintaining the core operations of the People and Nature Communications team, including scheduling weekly meetings, distributing weekly updates, and taking and distributing meeting notes.
- Work with the EDF content and digital teams, and outside consultants when applicable, to facilitate the design and production of creative assets, such as web pages, share graphics, reports, fact sheets, videos, etc.
- Executing long-term strategic communications planning while maintaining an opportunistic approach to daily, breaking news events.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF’s values.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in journalism, public relations, communication, marketing, or relevant field required. Degree may substitute for up to two years of relevant experience.
- Proficiency with social media tools such as Hootsuite and Sprout, and outlets such as Twitter, required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams) and internet usage required.
- Proficiency with CMS systems such as Drupal or Wordpress preferred.
- Proficiency with media outreach and tracking platforms such as Cision or Meltwater preferred.
- Practical, real-world experience in environmental media and communications.
- Basic web and graphic design experience, as well as familiarity with design software such as Adobe Creative Suite and Canva
- Excellent writing, verbal, proofing, and editing skills with the ability to synthesize nuanced, detailed information into concise, engaging content for a variety of audiences. Experience with AP Style preferred.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrates focus and drive, with the ability to anticipate logistical needs, proactively resolve issues and conflicts, and plan for multiple outcomes.
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Proficiency in English language.
- Highly skilled at time management and managing expectations to be successful across time zone.
- Occasional travel is expected for team treats, but remote participation can be discussed.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
The pay range for this role is shown below.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.