Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of disability.
The position is responsible for establishing and managing Communication activities including public relations within Malawi, including providing background information, Heifer Malawi Program intervention information and facilitating media to access Malawi Program information in order to increase its exposure in press and electronic media publications and programming. She/he will Liaise with the HQ office Communications Department to coordinate and amplify messages and communications. The position is also responsible for ensuring that project information is packaged, disseminated and utilized by appropriate users in conformity with Country ‘s program agenda, systems and procedures..
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Analytical, pragmatic, self-motivated, attentive to details and team player
RESPONSIBILITIES (including approximate percentage effort)
Communication and coordination (40%)
- Communicate and implement a communication networking strategy for Heifer programs.
- Collect and share program information including program background, post to the Heifer’s website information, successful stories, media reports and publications, etc.
- Coordinate donor and volunteer activities, including regular communications, visits, events, study tours, etc.
- Develop collegial connections with media representatives for directing their interests to Heifer accomplishments in Malawi.
- Provide recommendations to senior management staff on media strategies, public statements and other information matters.
- Develop and nurture good working partnerships and linkages with NGOs, government agencies, local institutions and other like-minded organizations to advance the mission of Heifer.
Designing Communication materials and Promoting HIR’s visibility (30%)
- Develop and share Communication materials & promotion materials through Effective channels to increase Heifer’s visibility
- Maintain communication materials such as photographs, films (both soft and hard Copies) and recording materials such camera.
- Develop and maintain a stakeholder database.
- Set up and manage HIR relevant social media platforms by creating and publishing content on current situations or ongoing activities for a targeted audience to increase awareness
Project support (25%)
- Document and communicate project activities such as POG ceremonies, monitoring and evaluation activities, launch and closeout of projects.
- Provide technical guidance on documenting project activities/ events.
Any Other Assigned Functions (5%)
Perform other job-related duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s in public Relations, Mass Communications, or related field, plus five (5) years of related experience.
- Master’s degree in the similar field preferred with at least 4 years of practical working experience in communication and networking. Work experience in NGO world is an added advantage
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Good analytical skills and ability to verify information.
- Excellent qualities and management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and environment, and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Ability to promote the vision and strategic goals of Heifer
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail and Internet software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Skilled at strategic thinking and anticipating future developments and trends to incorporate them into organizational plans.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, oral and written
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to lead teams effectively and exhibit strong conflict resolution skills.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling Heifer’s values and ethical standards.
- Openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside of Malawi.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.