About Evidence Action
Our organization was founded in 2013 to address a big gap in the fight against global poverty–many of the most promising interventions are either implemented at a very small scale, or not at all. We set out to address this gap by building programs that would scale evidence-based and cost-effective interventions, leading to significant improvements in quality of life for hundreds of millions of people.
Our model worked. In less than a decade, our two flagship programs, the Deworm the World Initiative and Dispensers for Safe Water, have grown to measurably impact over 280 million people each year. This success is achieved through the dedication and talent of our staff, the hard work of our partners, and the commitment of our supporters.
By 2024, we seek to double our impact. We are strengthening and expanding our existing programs, and working to identify a new generation of evidence-based and cost-effective interventions that we can scale to reach millions more.
We are seeking a talented, motivated and adaptable individual to support the Regional Director and the Senior Regional Leadership team in the design and execution of regional strategic initiatives, to support regional coordination and to play a crucial role in regional planning and performance tracking. Reporting to Regional Director, Chief of Staff is a highly hands-on and analytical role, involving intense project management and broad technical knowledge covering general operations management. The holder of the role will have a proven track record of exceptional performance driving strategic initiatives and projects to completion.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the development and execution of key regional initiatives. These will vary based on shifting priorities but may include:
- (Current regional priority) supporting the launch of new country or project work, and development of cross-regional strategic initiatives.
- dynamically providing support and gap-filling as needed on cross-cutting and/or department specific projects and/or teams.
- Plan content and oversee execution of bi-annual leadership team conferences, quarterly meetings, and more to ensure key region-wide issues are discussed and clear outcomes are identified
- Support the Regional Director in driving a strong, cross-departmental agenda of accountability, execution, and delivery and strategically align the Regional Director’s time with these priorities
- Support the Regional Director and other Senior Regional Leadership team members in regular management forums by pulling together the right stakeholders, analyzing and presenting relevant information/data, and elevating critical issues so that Senior Regional Leadership can effectively participate in forums and help make decisions
Regional performance tracking
- Ensure timely, high-quality and complete submission of work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and any other reports required by regional leadership and/or other relevant stakeholders.
- Work alongside regional program, regional departments, and units to effectively track progress against the strategic plan and other organizational indicators
- Create regional dashboards and reports to support effective decision making and cross-company communications of business performance status.
- Executive-level presentations: create proposals, materials for key donor discussions, Board meetings, and enterprise-wide conversations
- Directly manage operation team assigned to Nairob-based Senior Regional Leadership team
- Design and manage an expansion team responsible for scoping non-assigned/non-program specific growth opportunities in the region.
- Coordinate with global team members in the execution of global objectives within the region.
- Other duties may be assigned by the Regional Director from time to time.
- Minimum of 3 years of project management or management consulting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Public Administration, Public Policy or related advanced degree
- Strong capabilities in the following roles / functions:
- Developing strategic insight by conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Proposal creation: develop superb pitches tailored to investor interests in both Word and PowerPoint formats.
- Project/process management: Managing projects and building new processes which require inputs from a diverse set of stakeholders
- Independent multitasking: Ability to work independently, across multiple efforts, and to concisely present findings and recommendations to Regional Director
- Multifunctional: Proven desire to get hands-dirty and take on all tasks.
- Strong communicative skills in English across verbal and written mediums
- Previous chief of staff experience in a fast-paced organization/institution.
- Nonprofit and/or international experience
- Passion for the mission of Evidence Action and for creating value in international development
- Maturity to build trusted relationships with a diverse set of executives who have decades of senior level experience, coupled with the ability to negotiate solutions with diverse stakeholders
- Diligence and care in the face of competing, time-sensitive demands
Must be flexible and able to travel to regional offices in the region
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
1 - 3 direct reports depending on ongoing regional projects.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.