Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community.
Global Communities is seeking a Chief Global Programs Officer (GCPO) to join the Global Programs team. Reporting to the President & CEO, the CGPO serves as a key member of the Senior Executive Team and is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the Global Programs department, which oversees Global Communities resource mobilization, program quality and accountability, and implementation of all programs and projects around the world.
The CGPO utilizes evidence-based approaches that are fit-for-purpose with the rapidly evolving international development landscape and ensures the implementation of robust regional and country programs; strategic revenue growth; high standards of program quality and accountability; the effective generation and use of data; the fostering of a culture of innovation; and the building of local and decentralized capacity for optimal impact.
The successful candidate will provide visionary leadership and direction to a diverse team of Global Programs professionals, while fostering a culture of inclusion, collaboration and continuous improvement of systems, processes, and staff professional development. This role requires exceptional strategic thinking, a deep understanding of international development and humanitarian contexts, and a proven record in leading large-scale, high-impact programs to support Global Communities’ mission of bringing together local ingenuity and global insights to save lives, advance equity, and secure strong futures.
Responsibility Area: Strategy Development and Execution
- Develop and implement a comprehensive Global Programs strategy to become a premier partner of anchor programming in the nexus space in line with Global Communities' mission and strategic vision.
- Continuously assess programmatic trends and opportunities for operational excellence, program growth, innovation, and technical excellence, ensuring that Global Communities remains at the forefront of international development and humanitarian efforts.
- Drive the integration of layered cross-sectoral nexus approaches and best practices into programs to maximize impact and sustainability.
Responsibility Area: Team Leadership, Management and Capacity Building
- Lead, inspire, and motivate a high-performing team of VPs and Senior Directors, promoting a culture of collaboration, learning, teamwork, professional growth, and mutual accountability.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the Global Programs Department and establish a culture that encourages Global Program (GP) staff to develop their business acumen and become thought leaders in international development by analyzing market trends, refining program approaches based on lessons learned, evidence, and best practices, and sharing developments within GP for application to current or new projects. Build greater synergies between GP HQ and global staff to share management and technical achievements, learn from one another, identify strategic opportunities, and advance our mission, growth, and impact across the portfolio.
- Effectively manage, mentor, and lead the GP team, by recruiting, retaining, and developing a productive team of professionals through staff development and the strategic use of training, professional growth opportunities, and information for learning and performance enhancement.
- Work across functions and geographies to contribute to overall organizational impact, support the implementation of strategic priorities, and champion key organizational initiatives.
- Play a critical role in networking, collaborating, building, and strengthening relationships with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders to ensure programmatic and operational excellence.
Responsibility Area: Organizational Leadership
- As a member of the Senior Executive Team (SET), provide organizational leadership by participating in and contributing to cross-functional, organization-wide meetings, discussions, collaborative processes, decision-making, and actions.
- Actively participate in addressing structural change and transformation of the organization to more fully advance our strategic vision, live out our DEI commitment and better model our values.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Global Communities Board of Trustees, and relevant Global Communities boards as needed to provide support, education, and build effective relationships.
Responsibility Area: Delivering Program Impact
- Oversee Global Communities’ efforts to grow our impact, improve our program quality and better meet the needs of the communities we serve, by integrating, aligning, and layering our programmatic work across our three portfolios (development, humanitarian, and financial inclusion) and enable us to become a premier provider of anchor programming in the nexus space.
- Ensure that GC becomes a humanitarian ready organization through the development of training, tools and protocols and a collaborative operating model with the non- GP departments.
- Direct the planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of all global programs, ensuring their quality, effectiveness, and impact.
- Develop and implement strategies to ensure effective integration, collaboration, and performance across the Global Programs Department and other departments to deliver on annual performance indicators for quality program delivery, operational excellence, revenue, and growth.
- Develop, execute, and monitor the Global Programs Department budget, align with strategic priorities, and effectively distribute to ensure the programs and projects are resourced for success. Establish and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including partner organizations, governments, donors, and communities, to ensure effective program delivery and long-term sustainability.
- Design internal controls and processes to enhance, support and maximize efficiency, coordination, and collaboration in support of Global Programs operations.
- Provide strategic guidance on data analytics and the linkages for effective decision-making, sharing, and learning that supports performance improvement and growth. Ensure the timely and accurate reporting of program results to donors and other stakeholders, in line with contractual requirements and organizational standards.
Responsibility Area: Resource Mobilization and Partnership Development
- Work closely with the VP Business Development and the VP Humanitarian Assistance and other senior leaders to develop revenue growth strategies, identify and pursue funding opportunities to support Global Communities' Global Programs.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with existing and potential donors, ensuring alignment between donor priorities and organizational objectives.
- Work with Global Programs leadership to support the development of country and regional capacity to conduct business intelligence, partner identification, development and mobilization and contribute to the design of compelling proposals and programmatic reports that effectively communicate Global Communities' impact and value propositions.
Responsibility Area: Representation and Advocacy
- Promote knowledge-sharing and collaboration across the international development and humanitarian communities, positioning Global Communities as a thought leader and nexus partner of choice.
- Represent Global Communities at high-level meetings, conferences, and events, acting as a spokesperson for the organization and its global programs.
- Advocate for Global Communities' mission and programmatic priorities with governments, donors, and other key stakeholders.
POSITION SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote a culture of excellence, diversity, equity & inclusion, transparency, learning, and innovation.
- 15-20% travel required, both domestic and international.
- Other tasks as assigned by the President & CEO.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong coordination, collaboration, and networking skills.
- Ability to think and act strategically.
- Commitment to modeling Global Communities’ values.
- Undergraduate degree with a minimum of 20 years of related work experience or a minimum of 25 years of related work experience.
- Progressively responsible experience in international development and humanitarian work, with at least 10 years in senior leadership positions.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and a passion for inclusive leadership.
- Ability to mentor, coach, and professionally develop staff and teams for improved performance and job satisfaction.
- Experience in managing and pursuing business with a variety of different donors and contractual mechanisms, with a strong focus on US Government grants and contracts.
- Experience with and appreciation for the value of private fundraising.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate across diverse cultures.
- Exceptional systems thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience developing and managing complex budgets.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Fluency in English; second language preferred.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities.
To be considered for this position, please submit an application (including your resume and cover letter) by August 21, 2023. Applications received after this date may be reviewed on a rolling basis until the job has been filled.
This selected candidate can be based in the Silver Spring, MD; San Diego, CA; Ghana, Ethiopia, Guatemala, or Jordan. Candidates must be authorized to work in their preferred country without restriction.
The estimated salary for this position is between $192,442-240,552. Final salary will be based on several factors including qualifications, geographic location, experience, and internal equity. Global Communities provides a comprehensive benefits package; please note that this position is not eligible for allowances.
As an organization working to advance public health, Global Communities has an obligation to model best practices and to do all we can to protect each other, our partners and the communities where we work. To ensure the continuity and effectiveness of our business operations, Global Communities is adopting a policy to safeguard the health of our visitors, employees, families, and the larger global community from COVID-19. Effective January 3, 2022, all U.S.-based Global Communities employees are required to provide proof of having received full dosage of COVID-19 vaccine that is FDA approved, approved for emergency use authorization, or have an approved medical or religious exemption on file with Global Communities, as a condition of employment.
Global Communities holds strict safeguarding principles and has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment. In the process of recruitment, selection, and appointment, Global Communities will conduct robust reference and background screening checks, including international vetting as a signature of the Global Misconduct Disclosure Scheme to ensure children and vulnerable adults are safeguarded, and abuse is prevented. The incumbent is required to carry out their duties in accordance with Global Communities Safeguarding policy and the Standards of Conduct.
Global Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.