Who we are
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia is an International Non-governmental organization and a member of SOS Children’s Villages International Federation. We started our humanitarian work in Ethiopia with the opening of our first Village in Mekelle, Northern part of Ethiopia in 1974. Since then, we have expanded our programs to different regions where there are significant needs for intervention and where we believe we can work in partnership with all relevant actors to bring sustainable positive outcomes for children’s and young people.
Today, we have grown significantly to meet the persistent challenges that confront Ethiopian children who have lost parental care and those that are at risk of losing their parental care. Working in close collaboration with international donors, local government and community based organizations across seven program locations; we aspire that every child grows up with love, respect and security.
Why we need you?
We are looking for a Brand and Communication Manager who is responsible for leading the organization’s effort to position itself as a driving process of MA’s brand and communication strengthening and anchoring. The Brand and communication manager ensures that the National Association have clear and measurable goals for the Brand and communication that are in line with the initiatives of the international and national strategic plan; the National Brand and Communication Manager must live the brand and the mission and make it come alive. Relentlessly works to add value to the core vision of SOS Children’s Villages by building, continuously improving and maintaining an efficient internal and external information and communication network.
What we provide?
An amazing work environment that promotes personal growth through providing professional space to grow and advance your career!
While working with us a Brand and Communication Manager you will be in charge of the following,
Leadership and management
- Provide strategic and technical leadership on the design and implementation of Brand and communication strategies in line with national, regional and global priorities and programme directions
- Regularly monitor, conduct analysis and advise the leadership team on trends, opportunities and challenges in child rights, protection and child safeguarding in the country
- Ensure direct linkage and synergy between brand, communications and programmes
- Lead the mentoring, coaching and capacity building of employees in Brand & communication by establishing clear goals and accountabilities
- Foster team-spirited environment, results-oriented approach, effective coordination, integration and communications among staff and different functions while providing the leadership team the required technical support to facilitate change and innovation
- Collaboratively work with the M&E team to evaluate the impact of Brand and communications strategies
Position SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia as a strong partner among potential and existing supporters based on SOS Children`s Villages roots, vision, mission and values.
Draft and alignment of the status quo of external communication of the public perception of the organization in the country and in alignment with the management strategy and the fundraising strategy, implementation and evaluation.
Accompany fundraising campaigns, support fundraising team with expertise for external communications and adaptation of content for all channels, online and offline.
Identify key media and key journalists and foster the relationship with them to proactively position the organization`s topics and massages in the national news agenda.
Providing leadership in coordinating media involvement in the activities of SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia including press releases and coverage and airing of the Mas’s events in print and electronic media; especially those activities that require media coverage.
Generate Corporate Social Responsibility Relationships that benefit SOS Ethiopia in line with its mission
Liaise with and manage the relationship with external agencies i.e Strategic Communications and Advertising.
Review and approve contents shared on our social media accounts or website
Plan and execute National events for the organization
- Provide guidance for the implementation of a communications strategy to promote the organization’s vision, mission to ensure visibility of the achievements and strengthen fundraising opportunities
- Develop external communication strategy in alignment with the overall MA management to position the SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia as leading social change organization in Alternative Child care
- Provide guidance in the development of high quality, well-researched, and well-written communications materials and ensure effective dissemination through various channels (web, print and audio-visual)
- Ensure the organization has a coherent and consistent brand image in the country through the use of standardized brand execution materials aligned to the global branding guidelines and principles
- Ensure there is a cordial and positive relationship with all key media houses and proactively facilitate media coverage of the organizations achievements, advocacy agendas, events and development programmes.
- Working with the ICT Manger in the management of SOS CVE web site including quarterly updating and re-designing as may be necessary to improve its appearance and quality content and keep track and document visitors to the site as well as undertake qualitative analyses of the website and its use and explore other online communications strategies;
- Working with relevant SOS CVE team and or co-workers to produce articles, features and news for publication in the print media and organization’s documentary;
- Maintain on-going brand integrity via consistent application of the brand guidelines.
- Develop an internal Communications strategy to increase staff knowledge and awareness of policies, decisions and events.
- Reviewing and producing SOS CVE’s publicity and marketing materials including but not limited to organizational information brochure, banners, calendars, diary, souvenirs, almanac, best practice magazines for better visibility of the organization;
- Establishing and managing online publications, social networking, and new communications initiatives for SOS CVE;
- In times of CRISIS; Organize crisis communications in close cooperation with the Fund Development & Communications Head and the Deputy National Director
- Act as an information hub to Regional and International Offices
- Closely cooperate with the Head of Fund Development, the Deputy National Director, the Institutional Partnership Development Advisor, and the National Management team to pursue a consistent message about the organization and its mission and activities.
- Organize constant orientation of staff on the brand and communication-related issues of the organization
- Responsible for implementation and management of SOS Child Protection Policy in the National Association
- Ensures that co-workers and programmes do no cause harm to children and young people and that they are not exposed to the risk of harm and abuse
- Responsible to report any concerns the organization has about children’s safety in its programmes and within the communities to the appropriate authorities
- Ensures that co-workers act within national law, Child Protection Policy, Code of Conduct and other child safeguarding requirements
Up for the challenge...
Then check out our criteria’s:
Education:MA/BA in social sciences, humanities, development studies, international relations, communications, Public relations, or any other related field of study
- Minimum seven years of experience working in advocacy and communications in a non-governmental organization with three years in leadership/ management working with governments, donors, and implementing partners in the areas of public communication and international relations focused non-governmental organization
- Solid experience in Brand and communication work as well as in-depth understanding of international relations and regulatory structures in Ethiopia focusing on children.
- Experience and understanding of the UN human rights system, and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child and how these operate
- Experience in creating/working with networks of influence, and an ability to manage diverse professional relationships, thereby securing significant new opportunities for the organization
Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Good communication skills – must be able to explain the SOS brand concept to others in a convincing and inspiring way
- Well-developed facilitation and presentation skill
- Computer Proficiency and preferably trained on graphic design.
- Strategic and analytical thinking: dealing with diverse demands and pressure from different sections of the organization to often tight deadlines
- Experience in navigating complex political and social dynamics regarding child rights policies and regulatory structures to achieve technical consensus
- Integrity, objectivity, confidence, self-motivation and the ability to gate respect of peer and supervisors,
- Respond to ad hoc requests and requirements from any leadership team member or function/work unit
- Interpersonal Relationships: Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across Divisions, Departments/Regional Offices in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Fluency in English languages
Lead and core competencies
- Role model: Act as a role model for the organization, living our values and inspiring and learning from others
- Collaboration: Remove barriers to participation, share decision making and build partnerships
- Empowerment: Promote inclusion and equitable sharing of power
- Strategic Thinking: Live the values and mission, setting realistic goals and translating them into actionable plans
- Kindness: Act with empathy towards everyone he/she works with.
- Continuous Learning: Make an effort to learn, understand and grow as a person, admitting your own mistakes
- Inclusiveness: In any actions show respect and care for others
- Initiative: speak up when things are not right, do not hesitate to act and adapt to change when necessary
- Results Orientation: prioritize safeguarding, look for solutions and focus on desired results
How to Apply
Excited to take on a new Challenge..
Then send us your application (application letter, detailed CV containing contact detail of there references) electronically through SOS Children Villages Application portal (ICIMS)
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia holds strict child safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasis to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes.
SOS Children's Villages Ethiopia provides equal employment opportunities to all co-workers & qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or class.