Job Title: Auditing Manager, Natural Climate Solutions
Location: Remote - Worldwide (with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director, Accreditation
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) - the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) - a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards - to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
Plastic Waste Reduction Program - to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
With the rapid growth in carbon markets driving a new wave of project development, Verra is seeking an Auditing Manager, Natural Climate Solutions, to improve the oversight of validation/verification bodies (VVBs) and the quality of their audits under the VCS Program. This is a new position in the Auditing and Accreditation Team, itself part of the Program Management Team. You will work alongside other Auditing Managers responsible for technological and industrial projects, and Verra’s sustainable development programs.
A day with Verra’s Auditing and Accreditation Team might include…
- Working with colleagues to systematically track and analyze the quality of audits of natural climate solution projects conducted by VVBs.
- Making a recommendation to sanction a VVB that has been performing poorly.
- Accompanying a VVB on a project site visit, to assess their work and identify areas for improvement.
- Sharing feedback on VVB performance with Verra colleagues to inform both training and support for VVBs, as well the development of rules and requirements that govern Verra’s relationship with auditors.
- Joining a call with an IAF member body to discuss VVB performance issues.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading...
- Working with VVBs to ensure the proper use and application of new technologies, including remote sensing and automated data gathering systems.
- Supporting the Director, Accreditation, in their work with International Accreditation Forum (IAF) member bodies.
- Working with Verra colleagues to improve VCS Program rules related to natural climate solutions, to facilitate better auditing.
- Working with the Legal, Policy and Markets Team to provide insights that will help guide all training and support for VVBs.
- Keeping abreast of updates to international sustainability standards, particularly the ISO 14064, 14065, and 17029 suite to ensure Verra programs align with best practices, including attending IAF meetings and participating in ISO technical committees.
You bring with you...
- At least six years of relevant professional experience, with at least three years working for or with VVBs doing GHG project certification for natural climate solution projects.
- Good understanding of auditing processes.
- Demonstrated experience in climate change mitigation, carbon crediting programs/standards, and sustainability science.
- Experience working with the ISO 14064, 14065, and 17029 suite of standards.
- Cultural awareness with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- A relevant university degree; a master’s degree would be advantageous.
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other UN languages would be an advantage.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Building a comprehensive system to oversee the work of VVBs undertaking GHG validation/verification.
- Working with VVBs to identify effective ways to improve the auditing process for projects and programs seeking VCS certification.
- Working at the cutting edge of an auditing program that is critical to driving finance towards high-impact activities.
You will know you are successful, if...
- The quality of audits conducted by accredited VVBs regularly meets rigorous quality standards.
- Verra does not have to return documentation to VVBs due to poor quality
- Verra develops a clear means of keeping VVBs accountable for the quality of their work, and all aspects of VVB work (e.g., procedures, reports, site visits) are regularly assessed.
- Verra’s oversight of VVBs meets our internal high-quality standards.
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving quality so that finance can flow at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $77,793 - $88,321, depending on experience. We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.