The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Application Engineer is responsible for providing technical sales support to both external sources (consulting engineers, contractors and end users) and internal sources (regional managers, project management/ engineering, manufacturing and after-sales service) to obtain sales orders to meet set sales goals.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support for preparation of bids and proposals.
- Design advanced biological wastewater applications.
- Provide and review technical specifications for use in municipal or industrial bid documents.
- Work with project management and/or engineering to develop and maintain cost to complete equipment.
- Develop pricing estimates for both direct purchases and competitive bid applications.
- Interact with reps, territory managers, consultants, contractors, and end users on a daily basis through verbal and written communication.
- Administer equipment procurement bids including: submission of applicable bond request, preparation of bid forms, pricing and providing of all requested information.
- Oversee project hand-overs to project management and engineering group.
- Respond proactively to all sales calls.
- Maintain sales files and customer information database in Salesforce.com
- Maintain product knowledge through training and seminars.
- Provide other duties as assigned. Other duties as may be assigned as needed including special projects to help improve processes or tools for the sales group or key account management
- Follow and comply with all ESH&S policies.
- Support cross-Treatment training and development opportunities
- Provide and/or receive mentorship for other Treatment and Xylem team members
- Participate in local water-treatment efforts / organizations
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Environmental, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering (or related B.S. degree in engineering/environmental studies)
- 3+ years of experience working in the field of water and/or wastewater treatment industry.
- Specific hands-on field experience with controls, electrical panels, and/or mechanical equipment is a plus
- Demonstrate proficient problem solving techniques, attention to detail, and the ability to read and interpret complex engineering drawings and specifications in the development of project tenders, designs, cost estimates, and proposals.
- Superior customer service, interpersonal, effective communicator and influential is required. Ability to facilitate a presentation and technical aptitude of the product/process.
- Possess ability to complete tasks and resolve difficult technical issues with minimum oversight.
- Ability to prioritize, focus, and complete most critical tasks while handling multiple assignments with shifting priorities.
- Ability to network effectively within organization to get things done
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel and CRM software
- Be a self-starter with high motivation to achieve corporate and personal goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Green Belt Certification
- Salesforce software
- Prior experience with biological, filtration and UV or ozone Systems is a plus
- Prior experience engaging in the bidding/tendering process is preferable
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasional exposure to shop and field elements (Wastewater and Drinking Water Treatment Plants)
- Must occasionally lift/ transport up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to safely work around pipes, valves, electrical equipment and operating machinery, such as commonly found around construction sites and treatment plants.
- Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
- Exposure to undesirable field elements at treatment plants or contractor sites.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.